Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Canada > USA

*** DISCLAIMER ***
Please read the entire post before you fire off a nasty email to me or leave an angry comment. If you'll recall, I'm from central PA, and this post actually has nothing to do with either country being better than the other. It's about commercials. I just wanted to do something lighthearted for fun. Well, just read on... You'll see what I mean.




Ah HA! Now that I have your attention, allow me to explain:

When professional athletes play, they sweat. And when they sweat, they lose electrolytes. (Do you see where I'm going with this?) Most of them choose to drink the sports drink Gatorade. It is a product most of them use and a few of them endorse - which brings me to my point. Our Canadian friends get to watch Gatorade commerials like this one starring number 87. To my knowledge, it never aired in the U.S. I know it's an old one, but it is, by far, my favorite Sidney commercial. (Here's a link to the newer one, if you want to watch that one. It's pretty good, too.) Consider this Exhibit A:


THAT is a great commercial. Its simplicity is its greatest asset. Sidney isn't portrayed as a superstar. It shows him as a regular person that loves hockey and will play anytime with anyone, anywhere. Additionally, what little kid hasn't dreamt of having his favorite superstar show up and ask to join him in his pickup game? And any commercial that features the Hanson brothers is tops with me.


Now, contrast that with this travesty of a commercial that Gatorade has begun airing here in America, otherwise known as Exhibit B:


Excuse me, but can anyone tell me what the hell just happened?! Why is Harvey Keitel on the field? What does he have to do with baseball? Is he supposed to be like the devil on Derek Jeter's shoulder? WTF?! (Seriously, if anyone out there can interpret this and clear things up for me, leave a comment or send me an email. I'd really appreciate it!) Maybe it's just me, but I think Sid's Gatorade commercials are sooooo much better than this confusing piece of crap!

And now my friends, you know why Canada > USA. Canadians get to watch Sidney Crosby hawk sports beverages in stylish advertisements that make sense to the average viewer, and we don't.

Labels: , , , ,







Creative Commons License
The Sidney Crosby Show
is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
(Based on all work at sidcrosby.blogspot.com.)