Friday, July 20, 2007

Re(nick)name Sidney!!!

Okay, folks! It is now apparent that we all agree that Sid "the Kid" doesn't work anymore. I asked for your suggestions for a new nickname for Sidney, and you came through for me - in a big way! A big, huge, giant thank you to all of you that emailed me. I couldn't have done this without you. And now, let's get to it! Some the nicknames that we'll be voting on need a brief explanation of what they mean. Here they are in no particular order, and in the interest of fairness, with no details about who submitted them:

Sir Sidney - It was coined by legendary voice of the Penguins, Mike Lange.

El Sid - I believe it's a more mature twist on "The Kid." It's much more versatile, as it could conceivably follow Sid into his old age. I could see referring to a 75 year old Sidney as "El Sid" but not "Sid the Kid."

Saint Sid - The Penguins' new arena is being referred to as "The House that Sid Built." Enough said.

Dizzy - With moves like these, he makes fans dizzy trying to keep up with him:



Sid Licious - This one is a take on Sid Vicious (again, that Sid killed someone so it's not a good nickname for our Sid). The "Licious" of course comes from delicious! I don't think I need to paint you a picture here, do I?

Sidneyrella - What can I say? I asked for this one. A couple of posts ago, I referred to Sid's life as "Sidneyland™" so a reader submitted this nickname! Also, it makes sense because Sid certainly does lead a charmed life.

King Croz - He's definitely King of The Sidney Crosby Show, but is he good enough to be king of the NHL? Only time will tell, but if I had any spare cash, it's a bet I would take!

Bling Crosby - Hmmmm... A new contract worth $43,500,000.00?! "Bling" is MORE than appropriate. (Here's hoping he doesn't pierce his ears with diamond studs the size of my eyeball...)

Serious Sid - He's definitely all business when he's on that ice.

Captain Kangaroo - This one came to me with the explanation already written: "Signature move of leaping past a defender to take a shot or deflect a pass (Captain Sidney Crosby -> Sydney, Australia -> Kangaroo)" Here's what the reader was talking about (specifically, goal #3):



The Wizard of Croz - It's a bit lengthy for a nickname, but as the two previous videos demonstrate, he really is a wizard with that puck!

Darryl - This one comes from
Sid's days in the juniors. He scored 8 points in one game, so teammates started calling him Darryl, after Darryl Sittler, who earned a record setting 10 points in one game in the NHL in 1976. (The record still stands.) Sid's even got "Darryl" written on the cuffs of his gloves, perhaps to use as inspiration to try to break this record, too?



Now it's time to vote for your favorite! The poll will automatically close at 1:00am on Saturday, July 28. I will post the results later that day. Thanks for voting!


Labels:







Creative Commons License
The Sidney Crosby Show
is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
(Based on all work at sidcrosby.blogspot.com.)