Monday, October 08, 2007

Crosby Sits Out Today's Practice

Sidney didn't lace up his skates today, but he's still planning on playing in Wednesday's game agains the Montreal Canadiens. As I suspected, he's giving his foot, which was bruised when he blocked a shot on Sunday's game against Anaheim. the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review:
"It's bruised, but it's going to be fine," Crosby said. "I'm not too worried about it." Crosby, who is officially listed as day-to-day, is unsure whether he will practice Tuesday. The Penguins will play Montreal on Wednesday at Mellon Arena, and Crosby has stated that he will play against the Canadiens.
As someone who's had her own fair share of foot problems (a broken bone and 2 surgeries!), I suspected that he would need some down time to relax and ice his foot. "I just wanted to make sure I take care of the swelling," said Crosby (who watched most of practice from the Mellon Arena stands) to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "I don't think it would have been smart to skate today."

Sid in action on the ice against the Carolina Hurricanes on Oct. 05

I got another email from Friend of The Show and TSCS nickname guy Chris L. He gave me some insight into that new stick Crosby has been using:
Anyway, I saw your caption from last night's game, and I think the Saint is continuing to use a two-piece stick this year. Last year, most equipment watchers were surprised that he still used a combo: a Sher-Wood Momentum Comp shaft glued to a Sher-Wood blade. I think the blade was either a 1050 or an Axion 1150 (pure carbon fiber, vs. a foam core in the latter).

This year, when RBK leaked his big contract expiration with Sher-Wood, it looked like he started off with an RBK one-piece. But the later camp pictures and pre-season game photos make it look like he has settled in with an RBK shaft (the "Sickick" model, if I'm not mistaken), coupled with the ol' reliable Sher-Wood blade.
It's definitely interesting to hear that he still uses a two piece stick. Although, he's very, VERY superstitious and he doesn't like to change too much, so that might have something to do with it. Thanks for another great factoid, Chris!!! :)

Labels:







Creative Commons License
The Sidney Crosby Show
is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
(Based on all work at sidcrosby.blogspot.com.)