Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Outdoor Game Next Season In State College?!

I can barely contain my excitement. I told you in last night's recap that an outdoor game at Penn State's Beaver Stadium between the Flyers and the Penguins was being considered for next season. Well, that's only part of the story: If Flyers GM Paul Holmgren had his way, it would be a yearly tradition. From Shelly Anderson of The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:
Just when the Penguins-Flyers rivalry is hot comes word that Philadelphia is interested in staging an outdoor game between the teams at Penn State's 107,000-seat Beaver Stadium.

Here is an aerial view of Beaver Stadium in State College, Pa. (Click image to enlarge.)

Several Philadelphia news outlets have reported that Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren would like to see the game played next season and perhaps annually.

State College is home to the main campus of the Pennsylvania State University. (Click image to enlarge.)

Penguins spokesman Tom McMillan said yesterday that while the club is aware of the reports, talk of a game at the Nittany Lions' football field is premature because "right now we are focusing on the outdoor game in Buffalo."
As you may or may not know, I live in central Pennsylvania. Beaver Stadium is about 25 miles from my home. I can't even express in words how much I hope this comes to fruition. As always, I will bring you any updates as I find them.

(Cross-posted to The Battle of PA.)

Labels:







Creative Commons License
The Sidney Crosby Show
is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
(Based on all work at sidcrosby.blogspot.com.)